This is a collection of some of the most important online resources for medical assistants.
Associations & Regulatory Bodies
- American Association of Medical Assistants - one of the main bodies that offers the medical assistant professional educational resources, certification, credential acknowledgment, and even networking opportunities. They administer the CMA Exam (Certified Medical Assistant) qualification.
- American Medical Technologists - this is the body which awards the Registered Medical Assistant Certification. Before you can become an AMT Registered Medical Assistant you must first sit the Exam which you can take through your accredited school, or at a Pearson VUE testing center.
- American Registry of Medical Assistants - this is a national body which provides registration only as an R.M.A (not to be confused with the AMT Registered Medical Assistant). They also offer services to members such as discounted liability insurance.
- Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools - most commonly referred to by the acronym ABHES, this body certifies medical assisting courses. You should only study in a school that is accredited if you want to become formerly qualified.
- The Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs - usually known as CAAHEP, they are also an accreditation body who accredit over 2100 entry level education programs in 23 health science professions.
- California Medical Assistants Association - Medical Assistants and Students in California are eligible for a wide range of membership benefits.
- Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook - the official government information on Medical Assisting.
Commerical Products & Services
- MedPreps - offer a commercial service providing study guides and practice exams for medical certification tests including CMA, RMA, and CMAS.
Scrubs & Beyond (affiliate link) - is one of the leading online retailers of scrubs and accessories with special ranges for students.
- Health Expand - a comprehensive directory of healthcare and health information websites.